Tuesday, January 21, 2014

It's bananas.



Wrapping up our first You Pick Two event I wanted to post our dessert, which was a huge hit.  Keeping the updated Americana theme, I decided to update the traditional banana creme pie.  Turns out, a lot of people out there have done something similar.  My research took me to the one linked below.  I have never been to Momofuku Milk Bar in New York (or Toronto), but I have heard glowing reviews about it.  After making this, I can understand why.  It takes some time and has a few steps but is totally worth it.  In fact, this chocolate crumb crust could be used with any filling.  The recipe is very versatile and good to have your in arsenal.

The chocolate crumb crust could be used for any pie.

Here is a link to the recipe I used for the pie:


http://www.hummingbirdhigh.com/2013/07/momofuku-milk-bar-banana-cream-pie.html


To make it my own, I topped the slices of pie with whipped cream and salted caramel sauce.  The salted caramel sauce is easy and can be used in a lot of ways, it's perfect over cold vanilla ice cream in particular.  I used the "wet sand" method for the caramel, which adds a little water to the sugar to help it dissolve.

Salted Caramel Sauce
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon Maldon sea salt (or kosher salt)

Directions
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan (I used a 3-quart pan), combine the sugar and water and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Once it dissolves, turn the heat up to medium high so that the sugar begins to boil.  DO NOT STIR.

2. If you find sugar crystals are sticking to the sides of the pan you can use a wet pastry brush to re-dissolve the crystals.  I did not have to do this.

3. Boil until sugar becomes amber in color.  I didn't let it get it too dark since it becomes bitter at that point.  In the photo below, you can see it's staring to turn amber.  I turned the flame off right after I took this picture.

4. Once you turn the heat off, pour in the cream slowly, making sure to whisk the whole time.  It will sputter and bubble.  Just make sure to keep whisking.  Once it's mixed, add the butter and salt and stir them in to the sauce.  Let it cool and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment