Friday, November 1, 2013

First You Pick Two event!

I found that an easier way to host a dinner party is to first come up with a theme.  I have always been a huge fan of American comfort food - it's accessible, tasty, and can be high end if done right.  I think our guests will really appreciate it based on their line of work as well.  So, here we go:


MENU

Updated American Classics

November 2, 2013

 
Cocktail
Red State
Rum, Campari, sweet vermouth, sparkling wine

Starters
Caramelized Onion Dip
Homemade saltine crackers

Stuffed baby bellas
Panko, pimenton/parmesan topping


Main
Aromatic Beef Stew
Grass-fed beef, crispy celeriac/potato cake,
organic carrots, star anise


Side
Sauteed organic green kale
Garlic chips, sultanas


Sweet
Banana cream pie
Organic bananas, chocolate crumb crust,
salted caramel sauce


I believe you should always have a special cocktail to start, it helps make choices easier for guests who can be a little nervous or overwhelmed in a new place and it breaks the ice. This one is an adaptation of a Negroni-type drink that I saw in Bon Appetit last month. I have named it Red State in honor of our guests.

The menu will take a couple days to prepare - today I will start on the stew since I think braises and stews taste better if they had a day to rest in the fridge. It also gets a big item out of the way early and frees me up tomorrow to work on the appetizers and dessert. I will make the crust tonight for the dessert though, the recipe comes from the famous Momofuku restaurant "Milk" cookbook that I have read a lot about. I was looking basically for a modern interpretation of a banana cream pie and came across it on the web. It had great reviews - so with a few slight changes and a special touch (salted caramel sauce) I think we have a winner.

 
I already have my table setting worked out thankfully, which is a huge weight off my shoulders. I wandered around Crate and Barrel for an hour last Monday and decided on a simple setting that includes a Chilewich runner, assorted small gourds, and a few footed hurricane candles. I have to say it looks pretty nice. I will have lots of photos, plus the recipes and other ideas, next week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment